Motorcycle Accident Statistics
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), a motorcyclist is 15 times more likely to die in a crash than a passenger in an automobile accident. Motorcycle riders enjoy the freedoms that come with their chosen form of transportation, but they are also left exposed to dangers not met by automobile drivers and other motorists. They lack the physical protection of a car and are often difficult to see which makes them more susceptible to serious injuries from other vehicles on the road, debris from road construction and potholes, inclement weather, and manufacturer defects.
New York is the 6th largest state in regards to motorcycle registrations with close to 350,000. Statistics show that 2 out of 3 motorcycle accidents are the fault of the car not yielding the right of way. Biker fatalities declined across the United States from 4,465 in 2009 to 4,376 or less in 2010. It is a slight drop from 2009 which saw a 16 percent drop from previous years of increases. However, it is still estimated that over 4,000 motorcyclists will lose their lives in 2011 and thousands more will be seriously injured. Therefore riders must be aware of their legal rights and remedies if they are involved in a motorcycle accident. If you or a loved one has been injured in a motorcycle accident contact the Brooklyn personal injury lawyers at the Law Offices of Jay S. Knispel, LLC today for a free legal consultation.
Motorcycle Accident Injuries
Even when the drivers and passengers use safety equipment, including helmets, gloves, and other protective clothing, accidents can occur when the driver of a car or truck is negligent and collides into a motorcycle. Significant injuries can occur to the motorcyclist including, but not limited to:
- Broken bones and internal injury
- Paralysis and spinal cord injury
- Road rash, burns and lacerations
- Head injury
If you have been involved in a motorcycle accident contact a New York motorcycle accident attorney at the Law Offices of Jay S. Knispel, LLC. Our auto accident attorneys in Brooklyn have over 20 years experience handling motorcycle accident claims and can help you get the compensation you deserve. There is never a fee unless we win your case. Call today at 212-564-2800.
Steps to take after a Motorcycle Accident
There are important steps to take if you or a loved one has been involved in a motorcycle accident, if at all possible. They include, but are not limited to:
- Seek and obtain prompt medical treatment if you are injured.
- Contact the police and file a police report.
- If possible stay at the scene of the accident until you have spoken to police.
- Inform your insurance company as soon as possible and let them know you have been involved in an accident.
- Obtain all facts and important information including the names and drivers licenses of others involved in the accident, including the witnesses.
- Take photos with a camera or cell phone camera of the scene, damage to your vehicle, and of all parties involved in the accident.
- Contact a Brooklyn motorcycle accident attorney at the Law Offices of Jay S. Knispel, LLC .
For Free Legal Consultation with Motorcycle Accident Lawyers in Brooklyn
The Law Offices of Jay S. Knispel, LLC specializes in motorcycle accidents and have over 20 years experience. We represent motorcycle victims in the New York City area, including Bronx, Brooklyn, Manhattan, Queens, Staten Island, Westchester, Nassau and Suffolk. Our firm provides aggressive, sensitive representation and will vigorously pursue your case to the fullest extent necessary to get you the compensation you deserve. Contact us today at 212-564-2800.